Where to Buy  :  Replacement Parts  :  Contact Us  :  About Warn  :  Careers  :
WARN Blog WARN on Facebook WARN on Twitter WARN on YouTube WARN e-Newsletter
The benefits of manual locking hubs
Written: June 14, 2011
by Andy Lilienthal
Back in 1948, Arthur Warn developed the WARN locking hub so surplus WWII Jeeps, which had full-time four-wheel drive, could perform better on the pavement. These hubs allowed the vehicle's front wheels to be disconnected from the drivetrain. He advertised that the hubs would increase fuel economy, be incredibly durable, and were easy to install. More than 60 years later, this still applies to WARN 4WD Hubs.

Some four-wheel drive vehicles come with manual locking hubs. However, after time, they become worn and need replacing. Other four-wheel-drive vehicles have automatic locking hubs. And although auto hubs are convenient, they don't allow for a complete disconnect from the four-wheel-drive system. Axles, differentials, and driveshafts still turn, even in 2WD, which adds extra wear and tear on a vehicle and decreases fuel economy. When you switch to a manual WARN 4WD Hub, you have the ability to disconnect front wheels from the front drivetrain, increasing fuel economy, and decreasing drivetrain wear.

WARN Premium 4WD Hubs Another benefit of WARN 4WD locking hubs is durability. The WARN Standard Hub is built to OEM levels of durability, and are a great choice if yoU're replacing a set of OEM locking hubs. The Standard Hubs use many of the same components as our Premium Hubs, too. WARN Premium Hubs are even more durable, and feature ultra-strong all-metal construction, a ZA alloy dial, and a thick internal wave spring and heavy dial detents. Regardless of which WARN hubs you purchase, we stick behind the product with a limited lifetime warranty.

Whether upgrading existing hubs, replacing hubs, or switching from automatic to manual, WARN 4WD Hubs offer a variety of benefits both on and off road.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: hubs, manual hubs, locking hubs, Premium Hubs, Standard Hubs, 4WD, four-wheel drive
Filed under: Truck/Jeep/SUV

Comments:

Name (required)
Email (will not be published)(required)
Website
#1
Pseudonym
June 14, 2011 at 03:14 PM
Not to mention the capability to drive home with broken front axle components.

#1
Pseudonym
June 14, 2011 at 03:14 PM
Not to mention the capability to drive home with broken front axle components.

#2
Bob
June 14, 2011 at 03:16 PM
HI,
I am building a 1988 Ford Ranger.
Could you give me the part numbers for EVERYTHING I would need to Completely Replace My Automatic Hub System W/ the WARN Standard Hubs.
Like, a complete conversion set.
Thx,
Bob

#2
Bob
June 14, 2011 at 03:16 PM
HI,
I am building a 1988 Ford Ranger.
Like, a complete conversion set.
Thx,
Bob

#3
June 14, 2011 at 03:23 PM
@Bob,

You'll need:

Hubs (PN 29070)
Spindle nut conversion (PN 27988)

#4
Scott
July 11, 2011 at 11:31 AM
I have warn hubs on 1983 GMC jimmy, had to take apart and misplaced one of the springs that goes under the cap, can you provide me with part number for this spring please as i dont need to purchase the whole hub.

#4
Scott
July 11, 2011 at 11:31 AM

#5
July 11, 2011 at 11:32 AM
Scott, call WARN Customer Service at 1-800-543-9276; they'll get you exactly what you need.

#6
Randy Sadberry
August 05, 2011 at 09:38 AM
I want to convert to manual hubs on a stock 2005 Rubicon with 44's, do you offer a conversion kit?
R

removed
January 07, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Comment has been removed

#10
Steve
February 07, 2012 at 07:06 PM
Do you make locking hubs for a 1985 defender 90?

#10
Steve
February 07, 2012 at 07:06 PM
Do you make locking hubs for a 1985 defender 90?

#11
Keith
February 10, 2012 at 08:12 PM
I have a 2001 xj cherokee do you make manual locking hub kit for my dana 30.

#11
Keith
February 10, 2012 at 08:12 PM
I have a 2001 xj cherokee do you make manual locking hub kit for my dana 30.

#12
sonny
March 09, 2012 at 01:01 PM
can hubs be installed 0n my 2006 jeep wrangler with 1 5 wheel spacers

#12
sonny
March 09, 2012 at 01:01 PM
can hubs be installed 0n my 2006 jeep wrangler with 1 5 wheel spacers

#13
Walt Peterson
March 30, 2012 at 05:38 PM
Will the 10-spline premium hub fit a 1951 M38 front axle (same as CJ3A). What do you mean by 'very early' requireing threads to be cut? What year is 'very early'?

#13
Walt Peterson
March 30, 2012 at 05:38 PM

#14
April 05, 2012 at 08:21 AM
Walt, call our Customer Service team at 800-543-9276. They'll help you out.

#15
Deborah
April 18, 2012 at 08:12 AM
Hi, I have a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder & would like to know if Warn Manual Locking Hubs are available, part numbers & cost. I live in Yorkton, SK, Canada. Where are they available locally? Thanks.

#15
Deborah
April 18, 2012 at 08:12 AM

#16
April 18, 2012 at 08:24 AM
Deborah, we do offer a WARN Premium manual hub for the 2004 Pathfinder. It's part number 29091. To find a dealer in your area, see our Dealer Locator.

FYI, here's a link to our WARN premium hub application chart.

#17
calvin
April 21, 2012 at 05:33 AM
jeep rubicon 2005. would like to install manual locking hubs on the front. what is the part # for this.. thanks

calvin

#17
calvin
April 21, 2012 at 05:33 AM

calvin

#18
gregg mckinney
May 08, 2012 at 02:13 PM
does your website have printed instructions for nissan application 29091 ? what happens to small center hubcap that pathfinders have?

#18
gregg mckinney
May 08, 2012 at 02:13 PM

#19
May 08, 2012 at 02:28 PM
We do not have instructions for installation on the website, sorry. The center cap will not be reinstalled.

#20
Chris Atkinson
July 11, 2012 at 07:37 PM
I just recently purchased an 82 GMC Jimmy that still has the original auto locking hubs. I noticed the stock auto locking hubs have 5 bolts, and all the replacement manual locking hubs have 6 bolts. Are there any other parts I need to purchase other than the hubs for the conversion to work?

#20
Chris Atkinson
July 11, 2012 at 07:37 PM

#21
July 12, 2012 at 07:27 AM
Comment has been removed

#22
July 12, 2012 at 07:27 AM
Chris,

You'll only need the hubs. No other parts are needed.

#23
July 16, 2012 at 02:10 PM
Señores Warn;

En reportaje de revista 4WD & Sport Utility de February 1999, ustedes instalan un kit de ejes y bloqueos manual a un eje trasero de un Toyota Land Cruiser FJ 40.

Me podrían cotizar esos insumos para instalarselos a mis FJ 45.

Muchos Saludos.

Félix Muñox Urriola
Machali, Chile

#23
July 16, 2012 at 02:10 PM
Señores Warn;

Me podrían cotizar esos insumos para instalarselos a mis FJ 45.

Muchos Saludos.

Félix Muñox Urriola
Machali, Chile

#24
July 16, 2012 at 02:15 PM
Comment has been removed

#25
July 16, 2012 at 02:17 PM
Félix,

Nosotros no vendemos productos directamente a los clientes. Usted tendrá que encontrar su proveedor local de WARN.

Usted puede usar este link para encontrar un distribuidor cerca de usted:

#26
August 09, 2012 at 10:43 AM
I own a 2000 Ford Ranger, I was wondering would this fit the make of my car? If not, I have an old '97 Jeep Cherokee that I use in the desert, would it fit this model? Thanks.

#26
August 09, 2012 at 10:43 AM

#27
August 15, 2012 at 09:52 AM
We don't offer hubs for the '00 Ranger or the '97 Cherokee as they both use an automatic locking hub design.

#28
Doug
August 23, 2012 at 07:58 AM
I own a 2000 cherokee classic.....It's got a comandtrack
transfer case........I would like to be able to free wheel
my front axles......as this jeep is designed to spin the
front drive line even if the transfer case in in rear drive
mode only.......Do u guys have any product that I can
lock out the front drive line from spinning......

Doug

#28
Doug
August 23, 2012 at 07:58 AM
I own a 2000 cherokee classic.....It's got a comandtrack
transfer case........I would like to be able to free wheel
my front axles......as this jeep is designed to spin the
front drive line even if the transfer case in in rear drive
mode only.......Do u guys have any product that I can
lock out the front drive line from spinning......

Doug

#29
August 23, 2012 at 08:12 AM
Doug,

Since the Cherokee has auto locking hubs, we don't offer a hub specifically for that product. However, you might want to check with Solid Axle Industries or Randy's Ring and Pinion for a hub conversion.

#30
steve hall
September 26, 2012 at 08:12 AM
I will be taking delivery of a" MY Unlimited Wrangler Rubicon" in january 2013 i would like to fit premium free wheeling hubs to it i have noticed a jeep on your advertisement above this page fitted with hubs can you supply me with what ever is required . regards Steve Hall Perth Australia .

#30
steve hall
September 26, 2012 at 08:12 AM

#31
September 26, 2012 at 08:14 AM
Steve,

We have a hub conversion kit from Currie Axle. It converts the wheels to a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern, too.

#32
Magnus G.
October 04, 2012 at 06:56 PM
Are locking hubs available for Dana 30 axels in Jeep Grand Cherokee ´93. I alreaady have Command-Trac transfer case so I can take off Full 4wd and into 2wd. If so how muck is it?

#32
Magnus G.
October 04, 2012 at 06:56 PM

#33
October 05, 2012 at 03:04 PM
We do not have an application for the '93 Grand Cherokee.

#34
Kevin H
November 02, 2012 at 02:18 PM
Greetings Andy.

I've been looking on your site and Googling, It looks like I cannot convert my 1998 Toyota Tacoma with Auto Hubs, to Manual Hubs. Correct???

Thank you!
Kevin

#34
Kevin H
November 02, 2012 at 02:18 PM
Greetings Andy.

Thank you!
Kevin

#35
November 05, 2012 at 09:55 AM
Kevin,

We do not offer a kit to convert the Toyota auto hubs to manual. I don't know of anyone that does off the top of my head.

#36
zach
November 06, 2012 at 08:27 AM
I have a 2001 jeep Cherokee xj and i want to change my front hubs out with WARN standard hub. What are the part numbers for everthing ill need to do it?

#36
zach
November 06, 2012 at 08:27 AM

#37
November 06, 2012 at 08:45 AM
Zach,

We do not offer an XJ hub conversion. Check out Spyntec Industries.

#38
Leonard Wheeler
December 28, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Where can I order a new wave spring, mine is lost. Thanks.

#38
Leonard Wheeler
December 28, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Where can I order a new wave spring, mine is lost. Thanks.

#39
lee
December 30, 2012 at 05:46 PM
I have a 1984 Toyota pick up 4x4 straight axle . I recently had a set of warn hubs gave to me they came off of a 1990 Toyota pick with cv axles is there anyway to make them work on my 84 that already has manual locking hubs

#39
lee
December 30, 2012 at 05:46 PM

#40
January 02, 2013 at 07:33 AM
Lee,

Give our Customer Service team a call at 800-543-9276, and they'll be able to help you with this question.

#41
Robert
January 07, 2013 at 06:28 PM
Hey i am replacing automatic locking hubs with manual hubs on my 95 ford ranger xlt. can someone give me all of the part numbers for it. Also can u buy directly off this website? if not where do you recommend?

#41
Robert
January 07, 2013 at 06:28 PM

#42
Rick
February 11, 2013 at 06:36 PM
I am restoring 92 bronco, can I us warn to replace auto hubs? if so can you give me parts #

#42
Rick
February 11, 2013 at 06:36 PM

#43
JD Mercer
February 19, 2013 at 06:54 PM
Do you make Locking Hub ass'y to replace the auto hubs for a 1999 Mazda B4000?

4.o Litre, if you need to know that?

#43
JD Mercer
February 19, 2013 at 06:54 PM
Do you make Locking Hub ass'y to replace the auto hubs for a 1999 Mazda B4000?

4.o Litre, if you need to know that?

#44
February 20, 2013 at 07:18 AM
You can view our hub applications here.

#45
Larry
April 13, 2013 at 04:37 PM
Can I install Warn Manual Locking Hubs on a AWD 2004 Chevy Suburban. I want to do this to reduce wear and perhaps increase mpg.

Larry

#45
Larry
April 13, 2013 at 04:37 PM

Larry

#46
Darren Yong
April 14, 2013 at 05:49 PM
Hello,

I have a 99' tacoma with auto-matic locking hubs. My Front axles/cv boots are torn and need to be replaced. Would this be a good time to install a set of Warn locking hubs?
Are they difficult to install?

Thanks,

Darren

#46
Darren Yong
April 14, 2013 at 05:49 PM
Hello,

Are they difficult to install?

Thanks,

Darren

#47
April 16, 2013 at 07:18 AM
@Larry, we do not offer an application for this unit.

@Darren, we do offer hubs for a '99 Tacmoa, but it's for the trucks that came with manual hub locks from the factory. If you were to do a conversion, you could use WARN part number 60459 for those hubs.

#48
June 02, 2013 at 01:58 PM
HI,
I am changing my1999 Ford Ranger. from it troubled vacuum system to your manual
Like, a complete conversion set.

ty

#48
June 02, 2013 at 01:58 PM
HI,
I am changing my1999 Ford Ranger. from it troubled vacuum system to your manual
Like, a complete conversion set.

ty

#49
Kris
June 04, 2013 at 02:11 PM
I have a 2002 kia sportage I want to install the warn manual locking hubs from its original automatic hubs what will I need other than what the warn hubs come with from your website

#49
Kris
June 04, 2013 at 02:11 PM

#50
Ken Moore
June 09, 2013 at 02:55 AM
Hi, I have a 5/2001 Nissan Pathfinder R50 & would like to know if Warn Manual Locking Hubs are available, part numbers & cost.

#50
Ken Moore
June 09, 2013 at 02:55 AM

#51
james
June 15, 2013 at 10:57 AM
i have a 1987 4WD Toyota with manual locking hubs . i need to know all the parts i need to replace with Warn manual locking hubs .

#51
james
June 15, 2013 at 10:57 AM

#52
samouel bernstein
June 16, 2013 at 02:08 PM
If I convert the front axle on my 1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee will I still need a locking differential?

Is there a way to install these, gain the benefit of being able to lock the axles and not need locking differential?

#52
samouel bernstein
June 16, 2013 at 02:08 PM

#53
June 18, 2013 at 08:14 AM
I'd suggest calling Customer Service at 800-543-9276 for more info on these last couple of questions.

#54
Stephen soo
June 21, 2013 at 09:08 PM
Pleade quote me the warn manual locker hub for 1 pair for toyota lc hdj 80 series. Thanks

#54
Stephen soo
June 21, 2013 at 09:08 PM

#55
Justin
June 23, 2013 at 04:02 AM
Hi - can you tell me the part number for manual hub for Kia Sportage 2003? And any information about installation or issues. I have constant problems with the auto hubs on the kia and would like to replace them with manual hubs. I am in Australia, can you advise how to buy them here?

Thanks Justin

#55
Justin
June 23, 2013 at 04:02 AM

Thanks Justin

#56
June 24, 2013 at 07:44 AM
Stephen, we do not sell direct. You can find a retailer here, though:

Where to Buy

Justin, I'd advise getting a hold of your local WARN dealer and seeing if they can help you out, or calling WARN Customer Service.

#57
carl shinall
July 01, 2013 at 07:21 AM
I would like to know if Warn hubs are available for my 2006 Ranger 4WD?

#57
carl shinall
July 01, 2013 at 07:21 AM
I would like to know if Warn hubs are available for my 2006 Ranger 4WD?

#58
July 01, 2013 at 07:25 AM
Carl,

We do not offer a hub for a 2006 Ranger.

You can see our hub application charts by clicking on the links below:

WARN Standard Hub Application Chart

WARN Premium Hub Application Chart

#59
jacob barnes
August 18, 2013 at 06:44 PM
Hi I have a 1991 toyota 4runner and I want to put locking hubs on it. What do I need to put the new hubs on and is it realatively easy to do your self? Thanks

#59
jacob barnes
August 18, 2013 at 06:44 PM

#60
Ron Sutherland
August 23, 2013 at 03:18 AM
Hi, Could you give me please the Warn part nos for the manual locking kit standard and heavy duty for the front axle of a 1998 R50 Nissan Pathfinder? and if possible the RRP of both and availability. Thank you Ron

#60
Ron Sutherland
August 23, 2013 at 03:18 AM

#61
August 23, 2013 at 08:08 AM
Ron,

We do not offer replacement hubs for the R50 Pathfinder. You can view all of our hub applications here.

WARN 4WD Hubs

#62
September 06, 2013 at 02:22 PM
have 1997 1/2 ton dodge 4wd pickup want to change to manual lock outs do u have them

#62
September 06, 2013 at 02:22 PM

#63
jay
September 14, 2013 at 08:37 AM
Do you make a hub conversion for a 2004 rubicon? I would like to keep the same bolt pattern as factory. If so where could I purchase one.

#63
jay
September 14, 2013 at 08:37 AM

#64
September 16, 2013 at 07:37 AM
Jay,

We do not make a conversion. We typically recommend people look at Spyntech Hub Conversions, as they offer a JK application.

#65
David
September 17, 2013 at 03:23 PM
Ok your website was sent to me by a friend. The problem, we just purchased a new Ford Escape Titanium 4 wheel drive. It is a fully automatic system that gives the driver not even an on/off switch. About a month after that, we decided to buy a motorhome. We would like to tow the Escape behind our Motorhome. The problem is Ford says no towing the 4x4 at all with 4 wheels down and does not recommend towing it with the rear wheels down. The current hubs are obviously automatic as well. Is it possible that you make a hub that could be retro fitted to our Escape and we would unlock all of the hubs when it is being towed?

#65
David
September 17, 2013 at 03:23 PM

#66
September 17, 2013 at 03:24 PM
David,

Unfortunately, we do not offer a hub application that would work for the Escape.

#67
Gaston
September 18, 2013 at 03:24 PM
Hi, I live in Australia. I'm wanting to buy a Hub Locking kit for my Jeep TJ, I only trust Warn product to give me strength and durability. Problem is, I can't seem to find any dealer my way that can supply the kit. Do u have any dealers in Oz???
I live in Melbourne Victoria, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

#67
Gaston
September 18, 2013 at 03:24 PM
I live in Melbourne Victoria, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

#68
September 18, 2013 at 03:27 PM
Comment has been removed

#69
garrett gilbert
October 25, 2013 at 08:41 AM
do you sell man. hubs that will fit on my 2002 Jeep wrangler? (i know that i will have to buy new wheels so that it can fit the new hubs)

#69
garrett gilbert
October 25, 2013 at 08:41 AM

#70
October 25, 2013 at 08:45 AM
Garrett,

We do not, since that application requires a hub conversion kit. See the link to SpynTec on post #37.

#71
cedar
November 14, 2013 at 03:24 PM
I have a 99 ford ranger a want to convert to manual locking hubs do you sell a kit for this and what all will I need for it thanks

#71
cedar
November 14, 2013 at 03:24 PM

#72
November 14, 2013 at 03:24 PM
I'm sorry, but we do not sell hub conversion kits.

#73
hunter
December 02, 2013 at 10:07 AM
hey,, i would like to know if any of your hubs will be compatible with a 1949 willys jeep utility truck?

#73
hunter
December 02, 2013 at 10:07 AM

report #74
Tyler burdon
December 25, 2013 at 05:21 PM
I have a jeep Cherokee with automatic hubs and would like to convert them over to manual.I was wondering if you guys make the conversion so any help would be great

report #74
Tyler burdon
December 25, 2013 at 05:21 PM

report #75
Jeff Mudek
January 11, 2014 at 05:13 AM
I have a 74 IH scout and I'm looking for the two o rings that go in the manual part of the lock O matic hubs

report #75
Jeff Mudek
January 11, 2014 at 05:13 AM

report #76
January 31, 2014 at 04:45 PM
Do you make manual hub kit for a 1998 ranger

report #76
January 31, 2014 at 04:45 PM
Do you make manual hub kit for a 1998 ranger

report #77
CHAI WEE FON
February 06, 2014 at 09:03 AM
Dear sir,
I want buy Warn Premium Hubs for my Toyota Land Cruiser HDJ 81,year made 1995,japan spec,is this model code:28761 for my vehicle?Thank you.

report #77
CHAI WEE FON
February 06, 2014 at 09:03 AM
Dear sir,

report #78
Ed
February 08, 2014 at 07:50 AM
Hi
can you send me what parts I would need to put front locking hubs on my 2002 jeep wrangler 2.5 4 cyl
any links to' how to '
thanks
Ed

report #78
Ed
February 08, 2014 at 07:50 AM
Hi
any links to' how to '
thanks
Ed

report #79
Russell Boos
February 12, 2014 at 01:03 PM
Do you make locking hubs for the 2004 ford Ranger?

report #79
Russell Boos
February 12, 2014 at 01:03 PM
Do you make locking hubs for the 2004 ford Ranger?

report #80
Chuck Drake
March 09, 2014 at 06:16 PM
I'd like to install your locking hubs on my '95 land cruiser. It's full time 4wd with an electric switch used to lock the front differential. Will you premium hubs work for that application?
Thanks
Chuck

report #80
Chuck Drake
March 09, 2014 at 06:16 PM
Thanks
Chuck

report #81
Shawn
March 09, 2014 at 09:44 PM
Do you carry manual lockers for a 2001 Jeep Cherokee sport XJ model. I saw someone previously asked the same ? But I didn't see a response. If so please include every part number needed to purchase. Please and thank you very much.

report #81
Shawn
March 09, 2014 at 09:44 PM

report #82
Kendall
March 24, 2014 at 05:55 AM
I have a 1996 chevy z71 i want to switch to manual but i cant find the hub anywhere does warn or anyone make them please email and let me know thank you

report #82