Where to Buy  :  Replacement Parts  :  Contact Us  :  About Warn  :  Careers  :
WARN Blog WARN on Facebook WARN on Twitter WARN on YouTube WARN e-Newsletter
The History of the WARN Belleview Winch
Written: April 10, 2013
by Andy Lilienthal
It's fair to say that our WARN M8274 winch is probably our best-known product. It's been around since 1974, and continues to be a favorite among off-roaders around the world. You can read the history of the M8274 on one of our blog posts. However, there was a WARN winch before this iconic unit. That winch was the WARN Belleview.

The Belleview winch was originally made by Belleview Manufacturing, a company that did a lot of fabrication and machine work for Warn Industries in the early years. This is back when Warn made all kinds of things, such as beer keg tops and taps, parts for Boeing aircraft, motorcycle parts, and even axles for mail carrier carts. But Belleview Manufacturing had never commercially marketed the winch. Eventually, Thurston Warn (son of founder, Arthur Warn), bought Belleview Manufacturing, and started to sell the Belleview winches under the Warn name.

WARN Belleview Winch on a Willys CJ2 Jeep
Previous to the Belleview winch, people would use PTO (Power Take-Off) winches on their Jeeps. For a PTO winch to work, the engine has to be running. However, when you take a carbureted vehicle, such as an older Jeep, on steep incline, the engine can stall due to fuel starvation. So, a PTO winch plus a stalled engine means your winch won't work. The fact that the WARN electric winch would work on at any angle was a big selling point for early off-road enthusiasts.

WARN Belleview M8000 flier, circa 1972
The first WARN Belleview winches were called Model 6000, or M6000. But it was later discovered that the M6000 could actually pull 8,000 lbs., so the name was eventually changed to the M8000. As you know, we still offer a winch called the M6000 and M8000, although it's a modern, low-profile winch.

But unlike the winches we offer today, the Belleviews did not have features we expect on a modern self-recovery unit. For example, the Belleview winches did not have an automatic brake; they had a cable-actuated brake that was operated from within the vehicle's cabin. In addition, these winches only powered in; there was no power-out function.

Warn replaced the Belleview winches with the M8200 but only for a couple of years. The M8200 looked like a combination of the older Belleviews and the more modern M8274. In 1974, Warn introduced the M8274, which has the automatic brake, powers in and out, and has more durable components. As you know, it's still available today.

You can still find Belleview winches for sale at places like swap meets and craigslist. Warn does not have many parts for them anymore, but the 4 Wheel Drive Center of Minnesota is a good source for Belleview stuff.

So although Warn Industries' first products were hubs, the Belleview was the product that put Warn on the vehicle recovery map, and we continue to offer trustworthy, innovative products that allow users to "Go Prepared."

WARN Belleview winches on display at Warn Industreis

Bookmark and Share

Tags: winch,Belleview winch,Belleview,history
Filed under: Truck/Jeep/SUV,Universal

Comments:

Name (required)
Email (will not be published)(required)
Website
#1
Dr. Mark
April 11, 2013 at 09:54 PM
Really enjoyed this information. Amazing to see this information published that many, including myself, have never seen or heard about. Thanks for compiling and sharing this historical info.

#1
Dr. Mark
April 11, 2013 at 09:54 PM

#2
May 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM
I bought my fiancé a 1974 Ford Bronco and it had a warn winch on it already, but when he removed the winch to start restoration of the Bronco he noticed that there was this part just hanging back there and we can't seem to find a picture or diagram of the 1974 warn winch anywhere. And because of the year and it being so old there are no part numbers on it, that are still visible so I was wondering if you could send me a diagram and a picture of it so that I might be able to find the part. Thank You, Carmen Please let me know ASAP I would really appreciate it.

Thanks Again,

Carmen Couch

#2
May 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Thanks Again,

Carmen Couch

#3
null
May 21, 2013 at 09:57 AM
Carmen,

You might want to give us a call at 800-543-9276.

#4
DAVE NEWMAN
June 05, 2013 at 05:29 PM
i have a 8000 lb Thomas /warn winch and have a worn shaft. I cannot find anything about them, would you be able to help me please

Dave Newman

Queensland Australia

#4
DAVE NEWMAN
June 05, 2013 at 05:29 PM

Dave Newman

Queensland Australia

#5
Dave Newman
June 05, 2013 at 05:35 PM
I have forgot the most important thing,,,, it is a pto off the transfere box of my cruiser. 8000 lb . I cannot find anything anywhere for imformation,

Dave Newman
Queensland Australia

#5
Dave Newman
June 05, 2013 at 05:35 PM

Dave Newman
Queensland Australia

#6
Marc Gifford
July 02, 2013 at 08:06 PM
I have a Warn serial # 9394839 that is in great shape. I spent 149.00 a year or so ago and it just has set. I want to put a 6000 winch on a car trailer that I just purchase. Any chance this old collector item could be traded for a later model with remote?

Marc

#6
Marc Gifford
July 02, 2013 at 08:06 PM

Marc

#7
null
July 03, 2013 at 07:43 AM
Marc,

We don't have a trade-in program; sorry.

#8
Adam W
July 18, 2013 at 08:26 AM
I would love it if you would email me the complete documents for this winch as pictured above! I just picked one up off of craigslist with new bearings for $200. Looking forward to testing it out up here in the Oregon Blue Mountains. Thanks for the history.

#8
Adam W
July 18, 2013 at 08:26 AM

#9
Rob Hay
September 04, 2013 at 07:41 AM
Great info and nice pictures. I have had a Warn 5687 for over 30 years that I bought used from a friend. It sat outside for the last 10 years in the rain and weather. Worked perfectly on the first electrical connection. I have since restored the winch and will be using it this coming hunting season. It is a piece of art. Email me for pictures.

#9
Rob Hay
September 04, 2013 at 07:41 AM

#10
Greg in SLO
September 09, 2013 at 02:49 PM
My 1968 Jeep has a Belleview Winch model 6000, Serial Number 217062A as well as a Warn overdrive. Both original, both work fine.

#10
Greg in SLO
September 09, 2013 at 02:49 PM

#11
Jaq
September 29, 2013 at 05:03 PM
Thanks for the info. I've got an old M6000/Bellview that I pulled off my '68 Scout some years back. It's amazing how tough it is. Sure, the tech's improved greatly - especially in the control systems - but in good shape, the M6000 is still a great workhorse.

#11
Jaq
September 29, 2013 at 05:03 PM

#12
Scott R.
October 15, 2013 at 09:54 AM
I have just become the new owner of a Warn Belleview 8000lb winch. It was on an early bronco that I picked up for another guy. I am keeping the winch. The reason I am keeping it is because I am currently doing a frame off on a 1966 Bronco. My Bronco will be a street only rig, but this winch is so cool looking, I want to put it on for aesthetic reasons, and maybe the once or twice actual need to use. The Serial no. is 10598370. My questions are this. Do you have any of the original cable set ups? Do you make or have any of the original stickers? Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott

#12
Scott R.
October 15, 2013 at 09:54 AM

Thanks
Scott

#13
null
October 15, 2013 at 09:56 AM
Scott,

It is unlikely we have these parts. You can call Customer Service at 800-543-9276 and check. However, we typically recommend people to the 4 Wheel Drive Center of Minnesota for older WARN winch items. You can find the link in the body of the story above.

#14
Scott R.
October 15, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Is my winch rare? Do you have the ability to see if the serial no. is correct? Does it tell us when the winch was made.

Thanks

#14
Scott R.
October 15, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Thanks

#15
null
October 15, 2013 at 01:52 PM
Unfortunately, Scott, we're not able to tell what year it was made. I talked to a few people in Customer Service, and they didn't have access to Belleview serial numbers.

#16
Lou-Mans
October 27, 2013 at 01:05 PM
I recently purchased a Belleview that I plan on restoring/rebuilding and mounting on a 48 cj2a. I was so glad to find this information and pictures to see a visual goal. An exploded parts list would be so helpful.

#16
Lou-Mans
October 27, 2013 at 01:05 PM

#17
brandon g
October 28, 2013 at 11:12 PM
I actually just picked one up from a friend for $100. I have the in cab controls for it and can't wait to put it on my 73 land cruiser.

#17
brandon g
October 28, 2013 at 11:12 PM

#18
Mark Black
November 10, 2013 at 09:11 AM
I may buy one with the old cable controls... is there any way to convert to electric / remote?

Thanks,

Mark

#18
Mark Black
November 10, 2013 at 09:11 AM

Thanks,

Mark

#19
Mike Thede
November 29, 2013 at 01:58 PM
Anyone know why the Belleview 8000 can get very stiff on freewheeling ?

How does one drain the oil out for changing ?

#19
Mike Thede
November 29, 2013 at 01:58 PM
Anyone know why the Belleview 8000 can get very stiff on freewheeling ?

How does one drain the oil out for changing ?

report #20
December 23, 2013 at 07:14 PM
I have a in the electric Warn W8000....built on 12th day of the 11 month 1983..serial no is 28997.
The magnetic plates are shattered in the electric motor, Can anyone tell me where I can get the Parts from and How much?
The winch has the Positive and Negative Poles on the very end of the motor and the original colour of the whole thing is Red.
Im in Australia.
Den

report #20
December 23, 2013 at 07:14 PM
Im in Australia.
Den

report #21
les
February 09, 2014 at 03:18 PM
I have a warn m 6000. none of the wiring is there as far as the hook up and to where the neg and the positive goes. the only connection that we can find is the post that is on top of the motor.
Is there any way you could send instruction on how to run the wiring for a total hook up including the relay that we found under the hood?

report #21
les
February 09, 2014 at 03:18 PM

report #22
February 24, 2014 at 10:58 PM
The Power Take Off, which uses hydraulic system also useful in these types of winches. Is the electronic PTO doesn’t require engine on.

report #22